Meditation has become fairly mainstream. And, while it’s good that no one looks at you funny anymore if you say you meditate, the mainstream-ness can water down its true power. If you’re serious about spiritual growth on any path, but particularly on the Wiccan path, then I strongly recommend implementing a daily meditation practice.
Yes, daily. Like anything we do daily, meditation becomes a way of life, not just something we do when we “feel” like it, which is usually when the pain of doing things the world’s way has caused so much pain and stress that we’re not sure what else to do!
There are many, many, many ways to meditate. One of the simplest ways to get started is to light a candle and stare at the dancing flame for 1-5 minutes. Let all thoughts go and just train your eyes on the beauty of the flame. No need to comment on it or judge it in any way in your mind. Just look at it, keeping your breath steady and regular.
But this article isn’t about HOW to meditate. It’s about WHY meditation is important. Meditation is important for several reasons.
- It teaches you to train your mind. An increasing number of people are self-diagnosing as having “ADD.” Attention Deficit Disorder is a genuine disorder. Many people who claim to have it, however, simply have untrained, undisciplined minds.
- A trained mind is necessary during all the hours we spend not meditating. We are often surrounded by stress and negativity. Meditation trains us to bring our thoughts back, again and again, to that which really matters in life.
- Meditation teaches you to know – from experience – what deep peace feels like. Eventually you’ll become so accustomed to this feeling of peace, you won’t settle for anything less in your daily life. You’ll make different choices in friends, companions, jobs, etc. Anything (or anyone) that makes peace impossible will gradually fall out of your life, or you will be able to approach the situation in a new and peaceful way.
- It allows space for the Goddess to send direct messages to you because you are open and receptive during meditation.
- It allows space to integrate everything you have learned, studied, and read. It turns head knowledge into A.W.O.L. (a way of life).
- It allows you to tap into your intuition, which is essential to: witchcraft, healing practices, counseling, relationships, and life in general. I’ve gotten many ideas during meditation, and had countless revelations. Even though – or perhaps because – you’re not thinking, wisdom from the Higher Self gently enters your consciousness.
- Meditation allows you to start the day from the highest point of view possible. You can then respond to life, rather than reacting to whatever is thrown your way. You can even set the tone for your environment at work or home by bringing your peace with you, rather than being sucked into the negativity around you.
- It teaches you patience. The benefits of meditation come over time. When I was a new meditator I did have some immediate positive benefits. I saw colors and lights, and I grew a lot. But then there were dry spells, where all I had was the routine. Nevertheless, the breakthroughs happen when they happen. In order for them to happen, you have to have a regular practice. Haphazard attempts at anything – including meditation – are unlikely to bring many rewards.
I hope you will embark on a meditation practice as soon as possible and share your results here or on my YouTube channel. Much love to all!